Tails lets you:
- Use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship
- All connections to the Internet are compelled to undergo the Tor community
- Leave no hint on the pc you might be utilizing until you ask it explicitly
- Use state-of-the-art cryptographic instruments to encrypt your information, emails and on the spot messaging
Tails is a stay system that goals to protect your privateness and anonymity. It lets you use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship nearly anyplace you go and on any laptop however leaving no hint until you ask it to explicitly.
It is an entire working system designed for use from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card independently of the pc’s unique working system.
Tails comes with a number of built-in functions pre-configured with safety in thoughts: internet browser, on the spot messaging consumer, electronic mail consumer, workplace suite, picture and sound editor, and many others.
If you have an interest in giving Tails a attempt in your present laptop with out operating any danger, please try our Guide: Running Linux From a USB Drive As a Virtual Machine or Bootable Disk.
Online anonymity and censorship circumvention with Tor
Tails depends on the Tor anonymity community to guard your privateness on-line:
- all software program is configured to connect with the Internet by means of Tor
- if an software tries to connect with the Internet straight, the connection is routinely blocked for safety.
Tor is free software program and an open community that helps you defend in opposition to a type of community surveillance that threatens private freedom and privateness, confidential enterprise actions and relationships, and state safety generally known as visitors evaluation.
Tor protects you by bouncing your communications round a distributed community of relays run by volunteers all around the globe: it prevents any person watching your Internet connection from studying what websites you go to, and it prevents the websites you go to from studying your bodily location.
Using Tor you may:
- be nameless on-line by hiding your location
- hook up with companies that may be censored in any other case
- resist assaults that block the utilization of Tor utilizing circumvention instruments reminiscent of bridges
We are particularly proud to current you Tails 5.0, the primary model of Tails based mostly on Debian 11 (Bullseye). It brings new variations of a number of the software program included in Tails and new OpenPGP instruments.
- We added Kleopatra to exchange the OpenPGP Applet and the Password and Keys utility, also called Seahorse.
- The OpenPGP Applet was not actively developped anymore and was sophisticated for us to maintain in Tails. The Password and Keys utility was additionally poorly maintained and Tails customers suffered from too lots of its points till now, like #17183.
- Kleopatra offers equal options in a single software and is extra actively developed.
Changes and updates
- The Additional Software function of the Persistent Storage is enabled by default to make it sooner and extra sturdy to configure your first further software program package deal.
- You can now use the Activities overview to entry your home windows and functions. To entry the Activities overview, you may both:
- Click on the Activities button.
- Throw your mouse pointer to the top-left scorching nook.
- Press the Super () key in your keyboard.
- You can see your home windows and functions within the overview. You may begin typing to go looking your functions, information, and folders.
Included software program
Most included software program has been upgraded in Debian 11, for instance:
- Update Tor Browser to 11.0.11.
- Update GNOME from 3.30 to three.38, with numerous small enhancements to the desktop, the core GNOME utilities, and the locking display.
- Update MAT from 0.8 to 0.12, which provides help to scrub metadata from SVG, WAV, EPUB, PPM, and Microsoft Office information.
- Update Audacity from 2.2.2 to 2.4.2.
- Update Disk Utility from 3.30 to three.38.
- Update GIMP from 2.10.8 to 2.10.22.
- Update Inkscape from 0.92 to 1.0.
- Update LibreOffice from 6.1 to 7.0.
- The new help for driverless printing and scanning in Linux makes it simpler to make current printers and scanners work in Tails.
- Fix unlocking VeraCrypt volumes which have very lengthy passphrases. (#17474)
- For extra particulars, learn our changelog.
- Additional Software typically does not work when restarting for the primary time proper after making a Persistent Storage. (#18839)
- To resolve this, set up the identical further software program package deal once more after restarting with the Persistent Storage for the primary time.
- Thunderbird shows a popup to decide on an software when opening hyperlinks. (#18913)
- Tails Installer typically fails to clone. (#18844)
- We added a utility to make a backup of the Persistent Storage to a different Tails USB stick.
- Change the customized bridge interface to solely permit coming into 1 bridge. (#18550)
- Allow saving 1 customized bridge within the Persistent Storage. (#5461)
- Allow fixing the clock manually when connecting to Tor utilizing bridges fails. (#15548)
- Reduce the timeout that determines whether or not we are able to hook up with Tor in any respect from 30 seconds to 10 seconds. Increase the timeout to begin Tor fully from 120 seconds to 600 seconds. (#18501).
- Allow making an attempt once more to connect with Tor from the error display. (#18539)
- Stop restarting Tor when exiting the Unsafe Browser. (#18562)
- Only point out the Persistent Storage within the Unsafe Browser warning when there’s already a Persistent Storage. (#18551)
- Make positive that automated upgrades are downloaded from a working mirror. (#15755)
- Add Russian to the offline documentation included in Tails.
- Fix connecting to Tor utilizing the default bridges. (#18462)
- Fix connecting to Tor when the Wi-Fi settings are saved within the Persistent Storage. (#18532)
- Stop making an attempt to connect with Tor within the background when Tor Connection reaches the error display. (#18740)